Every year the Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers (SHPE) San Diego Professional Chapter awards monetary scholarships to student members of the San Diego area SHPE student chapters. Each year the number and amount of our scholarships varies (ranging from $500 to $2500), depending on our corporate and member support.
The number of recipients for the corporate scholarships depends on the amount of corporate sponsorship. The recipients of these scholarships are selected via a committee.
Jesse Macias Past President’s Scholarship Award
This scholarship is awarded to one student demonstrating commitment to the cause of SHPE and to their education. This scholarship is funded and selected by the SHPE San Diego Brown Eagles (Past Professional Chapter Presidents).
- Must have a minimum of a 3.0 GPA for Corporate Scholarships
- Shall be pursuing a Science, Technology, Engineering, or Math degree full-time at a university or community college ( Continuing students: if you are not taking 12 units or more please indicate why. )
- Current full-time student at a San Diego County community college, university or high school with an active SHPE chapter
- Shall be a registered and paid SHPE student or SHPE Jr. chapter member, verified with SHPE National Office
- Shall have participated not only with respective chapter, but the SHPE San Diego Professional chapter (as requested) and other non-SHPE Chapters
- Must be a San Diego County resident
- Must attend the Annual SHPE San Diego Award Banquet in early May
- The following must be delivered to SHPE San Diego Scholarship Chair before disbursement
- A Thank You letter to SHPE SD Board of Directors and Respective Sponsor
- Verification of full time enrollment (12 units or more) and your student ID number
- A Spring semester/quarter unofficial transcript reflecting a minimum of a 3.0 GPA (ensuring the retention and continuance of student’s intent to pursuing Science, Technology, Engineering, or Math degree). If this receipt requirement is not met then the scholarship will be forfeit.
2017 Scholarship Application Details
The 2017 scholarship application process will be online through the Submittable service. The application period will be open from March 1st through March 31st. Scholarship recipients will be announced on May 5 at the SHPE San Diego Annual Awards Banquet and recipients must be present to be awarded the scholarship. Scholarship checks will be distributed in September after Receipt Requirements materials have been received.
Application Submission Process
- Log in to SHPE SD’s submittable page via the link provided below. You can log in using Facebook or create an account.
- Complete the online application form
- Attach an unofficial transcript
- Attach a copy of your resume (not to exceed one page)
- Attach a head shot photograph (to help us verify participation with SHPE SD chapter)
- Attach the signed SHPE SD Scholarship Application Signature Form. The form must have your signature and the signature of your student chapter president (or adviser for SHPE Jr)
- If applicable, attach an acceptance letter to 4-year university or statement that you are entering a community college
- You do not have to complete the application in one session but you must submit before the deadline
- You will receive an email confirmation within the hour once you have submitted your application