Every year the Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers (SHPE) San Diego Professional Chapter awards monetary scholarships to student members of the San Diego area SHPE student chapters. Each year the number and amount of our scholarships varies (ranging from $500 to $2500), depending on our corporate and member support.
The number of recipients for the corporate scholarships depends on the amount of corporate sponsorship. The recipients of these scholarships are selected via a committee.
Jesse Macias Past President’s Scholarship Award
This scholarship is awarded to one student demonstrating commitment to the cause of SHPE and to their education. This scholarship is funded and selected by the SHPE San Diego Brown Eagles (Past Professional Chapter Presidents).
2020 Scholarship Awards
- Must have a minimum of a 2.8 GPA for Corporate Scholarships; lower GPAs may be considered for non-corporate scholarships.
- Shall be pursuing a Science, Technology, Engineering, or Math degree full-time at a university or community college. (Continuing students: if you are not taking 12 units or more please indicate why)
- Current full-time student at a San Diego County community college, university or high school with an active SHPE chapter.
- Shall be a registered and paid SHPE student or SHPE Jr. chapter member, verified with SHPE National Office, for at least one full semester/quarter and SHPEConnect Profile page submitted.
- Shall have participated not only with respective chapter, but a minimum of three events with the SHPE San Diego Professional chapter and/or other San Diego SHPE Student Chapters.
- Submit a complete application by the due date/time. No exceptions.
- Must attend the Annual SHPE San Diego Award Banquet.
- The following must be delivered to SHPE San Diego Scholarship Chair before disbursement:
- A Thank You letter to SHPE SD Board of Directors and Respective Sponsor. (PDF document please)
- Verification of full time enrollment (12 units or more) and your student ID number for the Fall 2020 school semester/quarter. (Screen print of your student record is fine)
- A Spring 2020 semester/quarter unofficial transcript reflecting a minimum of a cumulative 2.8 GPA (ensuring the retention and continuance of student’s intent to pursuing Science, Technology, Engineering, or Math degree). If this requirement is not met then the scholarship will be forfeited.
2020 Scholarship Application Details
The 2020 scholarship application process will be online and sent via e-mail. The application period will be open from March 1st, 2020 through May 7th, 2020. Scholarship recipients will be announced at the SHPE San Diego Annual Awards Banquet; recipients must be present to be awarded the scholarship. Scholarship checks will be distributed in September/October after Receipt Requirements materials have been received. The documents required for funds disbursement are due by Sept 30, 2020.
Application Submission Process
- Download and complete the 2020 SHPE Scholarship Application (PDF) or (WORD)
- Attach an unofficial transcript
- Attach a copy of your resume (not to exceed one page)
- Attach a head shot photograph (to help us verify participation with SHPE SD chapter; photos will NOT be shown to scholarship judges)
- Attach the signed SHPE SD Scholarship Application Signature Form. The form must have your signature and the signature of your student chapter president (or adviser for SHPE Jr)
- If applicable, attach an acceptance letter to 4-year university or statement that you are entering a community college (this can be turned it at a later time if you still have not received it yet)
- Attach a copy of your SHPEConnect Profile Page, showing membership details.
In total, you will have the following 6 (or 7) files to send via e-mail by May 7, 2020:
- 2020 SHPE Scholarship Application (Questions/Form). Incomplete or illegible applications will not be accepted.
- Unofficial transcripts (to date)
- Copy of your resume/CV
- Photo (head shot)
- SHPE SD Scholarship Signature Form (signed by your chapter president or advisor)
- If applicable, admission offer to a college or university (this can be turned in after May 7, 2020, but before scholarship disbursements are sent)
- Copy of your SHPEConnect My Profile page
Once you are ready, please send you files via e-mail. All scanned images must be legible. If you have any questions, please send them as well.
2020 Scholarship Submission: [email protected]
Good Luck and don’t forget to have someone review your application before submitting!
Apply Online Before May 7, 2020, 11:59 PM Pacific Time
For more information, please contact the Scholarship Committee.