Positions open for 2018 Elections:
Please click on the links for each position to read the descriptions of responsibilities.
- Nominations are now open as of Monday, February 19th, 2019, and will be accepted until Friday, March 30th, 2018.
- Send nominations to [email protected] and make sure to CC the nominated individual. Please begin the email subject with “[2018-nomination]“
- Executive Board Member positions can be reviewed on the Executive Board Position Descriptions page
- Nominated individuals must accept their nominations and provide a brief bio by Friday, March 30th, 2018 to be included in the voting ballots
- Brief bios can include: candidate info, candidate’s involvement with SHPE, and their plans to enhance the chapter through their position
- Voting will be online and anonymous through surveymonkey.com
- Voting members (Paid Members) will be able to vote between Monday, April 2nd, 2018 and Sunday, April 15th, 2018.
- Remember that you must have paid your SHPE Inc. membership dues to cast a vote
- We will announce the election results and install the new board at the SHPE Annual Scholarship & Awards Banquet
Appointed Chairperson Positions:
Each year the following Committee Chair positions are open for appointment:
- Community Outreach
- SHPE Jr Program
- Membership Recruitment & Retention
- Professional Development
- Campus Professionals
If you are interested in serving as a Committee Chair or would like more information, please send an email to [email protected].
The following are candidate biographies for the individuals running for executive board member positions and any chapter business being voted on by the membership. Biographies are listed in the order they were submitted for each position.
Cesar Garcia received a Bachelor of Science in Aerospace Engineering from San Diego
State University and is currently the chairperson of the SHPE San Diego Membership
It was at a SHPE National Convention that he became connected with the Naval Satellite
Operations Center where he began his first engineering job, starting as an orbit analyst
and satellite manager, eventually becoming the Satellite Engineering Branch Head.
While at NAVSOC, he specialized in satellite payloads, working with multiple
communications and navigation satellites, while concurrently earning a graduate
certificate in Astronautical Engineering from the University of California Los Angeles –
Mr. Garcia furthered his career in space systems working as the chief systems engineer
for a multi-million- dollar SATCOM payload management system, database design
integration lead for the Joint Space Operations Center Mission Systems, test director for
a SATCOM waveform controller, and others.
Mr. Garcia is currently an Integrated Product Team lead at the Space and Naval Warfare
Systems Command – Systems Center. He is also pursuing a Master of Engineering
Management degree with a concentration in Computer Science at Johns Hopkins
Mr. Garcia has travelled to many places, but his favorite remains San Diego, where he
lives with his wife of 26 years. Their son is graduating in a few weeks with a BS in
Kinesiology from San Diego State University and their daughter studies Neuroscience at
the University of California San Diego.
1st Vice President
Rafael Juarez, P.E.
2nd Vice President
Juan Antonio Vasquez
Juan Antonio Vasquez was born in Mexico City and raised in Los Angeles California. He was an active SHPE student member while attending San Diego State University where he graduated with a BS in Aerospace Engineering. Juan Antonio also holds an MS in Engineering Mechanics from the California State University Northridge and has over 20 years of professional experience. Including 13 years as a Technical Intelligence Officer with the Central Intelligence Agency, and 7 years as a Member of the Technical Staff with the Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Hughes Space and Communications, and Rockwell International where he worked on multi-million dollar programs such as; classified space collection platforms, deep space exploration spacecraft, communication satellites, the International Space Station, and Space Shuttle. He is presently a Technical Program Manager with General Atomics Aeronautical Systems where he manages the integration and deployment of special payload systems on the MQ-9 and Predator C Remote Piloted Aircraft. His areas of expertise include, technical intelligence collection and analysis, structural mechanics, and telecommunications networks.
Chapter business up for voting: