SHPE changes lives by empowering the Hispanic community to realize its fullest potential and to impact the world through STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics) awareness, access, support and development.
SHPE San Diego, a leading Latino non-profit organization, is brought together by heritage, social responsibility and desire to improve the equality of all people through the enhancement of Latinos in science, engineering, mathematics and other technical professions in the San Diego area. We strive to fulfill our mission by increasing educational opportunities, promoting professional and personal growth, and improving economic opportunity.
SHPE’s vision is a world where Hispanics are highly valued and influential as the leading innovators, scientists, mathematicians and engineers.
SHPE San Diego’s chapter bylaws are available here.
Goals for 2018-2019
- Increase the number of Hispanics entering and graduating from STEM degree programs
- Host 5 STEM Awareness events in the community by June 2019
- Partner with strategic San Diego organizations to promote STEM in 5 community events by June 2019
- Award $25K in scholarships to college and high school SHPE members through our scholarship program at our Annual Scholarships & Awards Banquet on May 3th, 2019
- Establish one recognized and corporate sponsored SHPE Jr Chapter in San Diego County by June 2016
- Increase SHPE’s network of professional members who are influential in impacting and advancing the STEM fields
- Increase registered professional membership to 125 members by June 2019
- Host 2 Professional Development Seminars by June 2019
- Host 2 Career Development events by June 2019
- Host 1 leadership development events by June 2019
- Host 6 networking events where professional and student chapter members can interact, share career advice, create informal mentorship relationships, and register as members by June 2019
- Collaborate with Corporate, Government, and Academic partners to increase their employee Hispanic population in order to mirror US population demographics
- Raise $30,000 in funds for SHPE San Diego’s Scholarship, STEM Outreach, and Professional Development programs by our Annual Scholarship & Awards Banquet on May 3th, 2019
- Recruit 1 new funding sponsor and 5 In-kind sponsors while retaining existing sponsors by June 2019
- Collaborate with 4 corporations to promote career paths and job opportunities by June 2019
- Collaborate with 1 government agency to promote career paths and job opportunities by June 2019
- Collaborate with 1 academic institution to promote post-graduate degrees by June 2019
- Increase SHPE’s impact and reach in San Diego through the use of social media and collaboration with various Hispanic community organizations in the promotion of STEM fields and SHPE San Diego’s Activities
- Collaborate with 5 non-engineering organizations from the Hispanic community by June 2019
- Release 3 quarterly newsletters highlighting SHPE San Diego’s activity for the period
- Use our website’s blog and our social media accounts to publicize each of our events two to four weeks in advance